Pages

1.16.2012

When to take your toddler to the dentist

  The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends children first see a dentist when a tooth first appears, or no later than the age of one. I took my daughter Chloe when she was three for her first checkup. She did really well and I felt as though I took her at her right time. My son Max is 2 and I don't feel as though he is ready to see the dentist. I think he would go absolutely crazy in the chair and never allow the dentist near his mouth- let alone inside of it!

These pictures are from Chloe's checkup last month. This was her second visit and she is now four. She was nervous and cried a little- but she was amazing, as you can see! She had a cleaning and pictures of her teeth were taken- no X-rays just yet. Going to the dentist still scares me, so I think introducing it at an age where they understand what is happening is a good idea.

Our dentist is really patient with Chloe and explains what each instrument does. He even lets her try for herself- which she loves! Here she is trying out "Mr. Thirsty"! How cute?

Even with the little bit of crying, look at this smiling face when the checkup was complete. I plan on waiting until Max is 3 for his first dental experience. Each child is different so if you feel as though yours is ready, I suggest asking friends and neighbors for recommendations. Chloe sees my dentist and its a great fit. Finding the right dentist for your child will help make their first experience a successful one. Lots of luck!


4 comments:

  1. My kid was four when he first went to the dentist Bondi with me when I had a scheduled cleaning. I planned this so he can see his mommy being helped by the dentist and in turn alleviate any fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had some trouble looking for a Pediatric Dentist for my 1 year old and 3 year old kids. Good thing that a dentist marietta ga referred to me by my book club was gentle and really knew how to make the kids feel comfortable the whole time they had their mouths open.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think he would go absolutely crazy in the chair and never allow the dentist near his mouth- let alone inside of it! georgia dental associates

    ReplyDelete