Pages

8.30.2012

Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins

                            
                             Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins

 
I busted out the Sneaky chef to help get our healthy back on. All of our Summer activities kept us outdoors and me out of the kitchen!  With Fall quickly approaching, I wanted to start the new season on a good note.
 
As you may have noticed, peanut butter is a front runner in our home. I love it as much as the kids. As I was flipping through the pages of the Sneaky chef, I came across Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins and knew I had to make them. These are not your ordinary muffins.
                                                                                                                                                Hidden inside is an orange puree which consists of sweet potato and carrot. Sweet potatoes are filled with antioxidant vitamins C and E, carotene's,calcium, potassium, and iron. Carrots are the richest source of carotene and antioxidants among veggies. The flour blend which the muffins are made with contain 1 cup of wheat germ. Wheat germ is a powerhouse of nutrients that offers an excellent source of iron, protein, B vitamins, folic acid, and vitamin E. The B vitamins nourish the nervous system and may help prevent fatigue and migraines.
 
Like I said, these are not your ordinary muffins!
 
Missy Chase Lapine recommends pre -making the purees to lesson the workload of her recipes.
 
 
Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins
 
Orange Puree
1 medium sweet potato peeled and roughly chopped
3 medium to large carrots, peeled and sliced into thick chunks
3-4 tablespoons of water
 
Boil about 20 minutes until veggies are tender.
Puree on high with 2 tablespoons of water- the less water the better (use more if need be)
This makes about 2 cups of puree.
You can freeze what you do not use.
 
Flour Blend
 
2 cups of whole grain pastry flour
1 cup of wheat germ, unsweetened
 
Ingredients
 
1 cup of the Flour Blend
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
 
3/4 cup Orange Puree
3/4 smooth peanut butter
8 heaping teaspoons of your favorite jam
 
 
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
 
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the Flour Blend, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
 
In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until well combined, then whisk in the oil, Orange Puree, and peanut butter. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until flour is just moistened (don't over mix to avoid dense muffins).
 
Scoop about two tablespoons of batter into the large muffin cups until half full. Place a heaping teaspoon of jam in the center of each muffin. Cover the jam with another two tablespoons or so of batter, filling the cups just over the top.
 
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.
 
 
I made these muffins in the morning when the kiddies were just waking up. Chloe asked what the orange puree was and I told her I was making baby food for my godson! I was so excited for Chloe and Max to try them. I put my blood, sweat and tears into making them! I had to go to so many different stores for the various ingredients, make the Orange Puree...and lets not talk about the cleanup!
 
I give the kids the muffins and Max says "YUCK" and wont even attempt a bite. Chloe takes one bite and says shes full!
 
Chloe ate more of them and continued eating them in the days to follow! My parents enjoyed them, my brother loved the jam in the middle and my husband had his share as well...you couldn't taste a hint of veggies.
 
I am definitely sending these to school with Chloe for her A.M snack. She actually asked me to make them again today...so back at it tomorrow! (I already have the Orange Puree frozen)
 
I highly suggest skipping the minis and making all regular sized muffins- they were moister and tastier.
 
I hope all my fellow peanut butter fans make these muffins! They are worth all of the work-especially knowing you are filling your kiddies bellies with some good stuff.  
 
Enjoy!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. oh my, they sound beyond decadent, I may have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And sooo good for you too! The perfect muffin!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! I am definitely going to make these soon for my girls! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are going to love them! Perfect to send to school too.

      Delete
  3. Healthy PB and J in muffin form? SWOON!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh these sound delicious! I love sneaky treats :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's tempting to try these. I have such a picky eater, this would be an awesome way to get those nutrients into her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it Kristen! It's a lot of work- but worth it. I feel like such a great mom when my kids eat well!!
      Let me know how it works out for you if you make them!

      Delete
  6. I haven't tried the sneaky chef, but I do have Deceptively Delicious and I have to say that the recipes are really yummy and sometimes I swear it's the only way I get veggies into Isabella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Melissa! I have never tried Deceptively Delicious but believe they are very similar. I think one even charged the other with stealing ideas! LOL.

      How is the little one doing in school?
      How are you doing with her in school???

      Delete