Pages

1.30.2013

Runners envy


                                              Picture from www.womenshealthmag.com
\
Being a mom means not always doing what I want to do. Many a time I didn't make it to the gym because the kids didn't want to go or they didn't feel good. I didn't like taking them when they were really young because I was a germaphobe. Now that they are getting bigger and things are getting easier, I'm finding more time for myself and in return, am starting to feel like myself once again. I'm getting back to doing the things I did before I was just mom. Working out makes me feel good about myself. It makes me happier....and when mom is happier- the whole family is happier!

Normally, I'm not an envious person. However, I do have what I call runners envy! When I watch someone run, it seems so freeing, so exhilarating...like they are running their worries away. Running to me seems like such a fulfilling, gratifying workout. The act just amazes me. I want to run so badly and the fact that I find it nearly impossible makes it even more fascinating to me. How the hell do people do it?

My fitness resolution for 2013 was to push myself in my workouts. I have been living up to my word by trying new classes such as Pilate's which I really like -and yoga. I've also been attempting  to run. Last week I started off slow, running for 2-3 minutes then walking 5 and repeating. I tried pushing myself further but felt like I couldn't breathe! Today, I ran 5 minutes and walked 5 then repeated the cycle. It felt great to get past the 3 minutes! Tomorrow I plan on pushing myself to 6 minutes. Hopefully in a few months I will be able to reach my goal of running a full 1/2 hour. Setting these small goals and making them have made me feel accomplished and allowed me to feel as though reaching the 30 minutes in attainable.

If I can run...I'll feel like I can do anything!

Anyone have any tips to keep me going? Anything is appreciated!

14 comments:

  1. That is so interesting that you write about this topic because I feel EXACTLY the same way! In my mind, I am a runner. In reality, I am not. But, I really want to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!! So happy I'm not alone! Doesn't it just look like it feels amazing??

      Delete
  2. First, I can so relate. My littlest just started preschool a few mornings a week. So I get to workout without any guilt! Wooo hoo!! I even get to shower after!

    Second, you can run! You're doing it the right way. Just start off slow. When I started I always said I was going on a "run-walk" because I would walk a lot of the time. The difficulty breathing, side cramps, etc all go away once your body adjusts to running. It is really hard at first but you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear it gets easier! I'm going to keep on truckin'!!!

      Guiltless gym visits are always so much more productive, right?

      Delete
  3. Oh, I definitely get that. Good for you for pushing yourself. I’ve actually been following the C25k iphone app and was able to jog for 8 minutes straight yesterday…I’ve only ever done that once before in my entire LIFE. Though I’m still envious of those people who can make a fast run seem so easy and carefree. I just look like I’m ready to die. (husband’s words, not mine!) Best of luck for moving forward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look for that app. I know there are a few to follow.

      I'm also with you on probably looking like I'm going to die! A girl came over to me the other day and complimented me on my running...a little weird, yes...but I knew I must have looked new at it for her to come over and say that!!

      Back at it tomorrow. It makes me feel like a rock star when I go on Sundays!

      Delete
  4. Running is really tough at first, but the more you do it the more you want to do it and the easier and better you get at it. You should try the Couch to 5K program. And good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa!!! I have heard of that...the thought of running more than 30 minutes TERRIFIES me!!!

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh you are going to do great!!! That's exactly how I started! Just the motivation of wanting to be a "runner" that's all you need and it'll take you where ever you want! My best advise would be to sign up for a local 5K race that is a couple of months away that will push you and once you do that first race you'll be hooked!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me so excited! If motivation is all I need- then I'm in!!! Thank you so much for the advice! A 5k still scares the shit out of me...maybe in a few months!!!

      Delete
  6. After I had Benton, my goal was to run a half marathon and I followed a great training schedule that I absolutely loved. My only advice is to take it slow just as you're doing. In the beginning, don't worry about how fast you're running, you can work on that later! But seriously, I need to take my own advice and start running again! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it starts getting warmer here, let's run! Hopefully the boardwalk will be rebuilt and we can go there. I miss walking with the kids while watching the waves! Thanks Kim!! xo

      Delete
  7. Running is hard!! I think that you are being really smart in how you are building up your running. I know so many people who just start right out of the gate and try to run a half hour or whatever and then never go back to running. You are doing great and you will get to your goal. As Kim said, it's just the beginning and the hardest is taking that first step out the door.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have that too! Running is one of my fitness goals this year as well. I've been doing the C25K app and it has been wonderful! I definitely recommend it! I have never been a runner...EVER. Last week, I ran 20 minutes continuously and almost 2 miles for the first time! I can not recommend it enough! I'm currently on week 6 of the 9 week program. You should definitely try it! I am attempting my first 5K March 2nd!

    ReplyDelete