Pages

6.28.2012

Seashell arts and crafts

I'm not sure if staying home makes the kids crazier- or me. We are normally out all day- most days, except for days like today since Chloe wasn't feeling well. I was up all night with her coughing and vomiting so I was  happy to lay low today. We took a nice, long walk and then came home to do a craft that was perfect to do on a lay low day.
Chloe collected shells on the beach last week and took them home. I bought paint and some paintbrushes on our outing today- covered their little outdoor table with newspaper- and let em' rip!      

I prepared the table first, setting up their stations with the Crayola washable paint and Crayola paintbrushes. I had the sparkles from Easter so I put them out as well knowing they would be a hit with Chloe. They had such a great time painting the shells- they painted for way over an hour!
The paint got on everything & my backyard will forever be sparkly- but I have to say, much to my surprise- the paint came out of all of our clothing!

A day I thought was going to drag- ended up being such an amazing one. On my next trip to CVS, I'll be sure to pick up another box of Crayola paints to keep on hand for a rainy or sick day.

One of Chloe's shell creations





22 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I'll have to try it with my stepkids, especially since they just picked up a bunch of shells from the beach. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun! I was pleasantly surprised at how busy it kept them! Thank you for all of your wonderful comments Erin!

      Delete
  2. Perfect timing! We'll be vacationing at Cape Cod and the grandkids will be looking for a craft to do with the seashells we hope to collect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how nice! I've never been to Cape Cod but would like to visit soon. Shell collecting is so much fun- now you'll have something to create your own Cape Cod memories with! Enjoy your trip!!

      Delete
  3. Oh how I miss those craft days with my daughter! What a wonderful way to spend the day. Hope your baby is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I will miss them one day too...it goes way too fast!

      I hope she feels better too- it's been a full week and she's still coughing. I'll be back at the doctor if she doesn't clear up in a few more days...thank you for thinking of her!

      Delete
  4. Wow love this craft...so simply but so beautiful....I just need to find some big shells now :)
    Great tip going to remember this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was lots of fun. We collected a ridiculous amount of big, beautiful shells last week so we now have enough for a few rainy/sick days! I couldnt believe how many were washed ashore- and no broken ones!

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. So cute/great creative project. Can't wait to be a mom someday - and Chloe's one of my favorite names for a girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Being a mom is fun, crazy, exciting, tiring- I can go on & on! I'm sure you'll make an amazing mom someday - I wanted to be a mom from as far back as I can remember!

      Chloe is a great name!
      I hope she loves it as much as we do!

      Thanks for visiting & leaving a comment!

      Delete
  6. What a great idea and we happen to be going to the beach for the day today. Great timing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Have a great time & collect those shells!!! They are perfect to have for the moments where you need something to do with them!

      Delete
  7. Poor Kid, I hope she's feeling better!
    That looks like a lot of fun, I'd have to use store bought shells though, no beaches around here.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tara- sucks when they are sick!

      My blog button should be working...thank you again!

      Delete
  8. Such a cute idea! I love it. Next time we go to the beach I'll be sure to bring home a bucket of sea shells for those stuck inside days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- hate those days! But a craft like this makes it better...except the cleanup!! Hahaha

      Delete
  9. Your kid is an artist, clearly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will be very happy to hear that!!! Thank you!!

      Delete
  10. What a great idea for an easy craft - cheap and beautiful, love this combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- it was lots of fun...my backyard sparkles like fairies had a party back there!!!

      Delete