Pages

3.01.2013

Shamrock fruit kabobs



Happy March everyone! What I love about March is that it's one step closer to Spring! I've had about enough of the indoors, and so have the littles!

St. Patrick's Day was always celebrated at my grandparents house. My grandpa was Irish and my grandmother embraced her adopted heritage by cooking up a feast of corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots. My family loved it and looked forward to it the once a year we ate it!

I carried on the corned beef dinner tradition with my own family and have added some of my own since having kids. You can make just about anything with a shamrock cookie cutter from pancakes to pb&j sammies. I made these shamrock fruit kabobs this morning to welcome the first day of March and the kids devoured them!

What you need:
  • small shamrock cookie cutter
  • 1 honeydew (buy the largest one you can find)
  • large seedless green grapes
  • little marshmallows
  • plastic drink stirrers (bought in paper goods aisle in supermarket)
If you want to set it up in a tin to bring to school, go to Michael's or a craft store. I bought the tin there and the foam that fits inside of it to hold the kabobs. I bought Easter grass to hide the foam. You can easily lay them on a plate and cover with clear wrap as well.

What you need to do:
  • Cut honeydew in half (across- not top to bottom)
  • scoop out seeds
  • slice the honeydew leaving circles
  • Use your shamrock cutter to cut the shape out of the honeydew.
  • Fill the kabobs with fruit and marshmallows

If your looking for a shamrock cookie cutter, mine came from a set I bought from The Pampered Chef. I honestly think it is the most used item in my kitchen! The set was $10. The shamrock cutter will be working lots of OT this month as the heart shape did last!



No comments:

Post a Comment