Pages

10.12.2017

When I Was Little & Grown Up Egg in a Hole


When I Was Little: A Four Year Old's Memoir of Her Youth is Jamie Lee Curtis's first children's book. The little girl in the story reflects on her life and how she has grown in her four short years. No more "silly hair" or wearing "floaties" in the pool, and no more eating "goo and yucky stuff"! Why eat goo and yucky stuff when you can eat all the scrumptiousness the world has to offer? Definitely one of the perks of adulthood! Read with children ages 4-8 and I'm sure they'll relate to all of the changes and to "not being a baby anymore".

Egg in a hole was so comforting as a child. I had no idea how simple it was to make, just how warm and cozy it made me feel. The ingredients were always on hand- usually one slice of white bread and an egg. I love it even more as an adult- it has evolved and matured along with me. It can be modified according to what you have in the fridge which is a great way to use up those groceries that may get tossed at the end of the week.

Ingredients

1 slice of bread (use what you have/love)
1 egg
1 slice of cheese (I used Havarti-use what you have)
5 spinach leaves (any veggie works)




Directions

Using a cookie cutter (or glass), cut a circle out of the center of the bread.
Heat the pan on a medium flame. Spray with cooking spray.
Toast up the bread in the pan for 2-3 minutes. I like mine extra crispy.
Crack egg in the hole. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Place the spinach and cheese on top of the egg and sprinkle with more salt and pepper to taste.
Cook about 2- 2 1/2 minutes.

Craft Connection




I got this idea from my sons kindergarten teacher who was amazing! When I saw his 100 year old self portrait, I knew I had to make it with my Books to Belly kids! I think this craft pairs well with this story. I love that most little kids see themselves as big kids, so its fun to see how they would imagine themselves at 100!

What you will need;

Construction paper
glue stick
cotton balls
eyes
buttons
cardstock & doily optional

Like the egg in a hole, use what you have in the house!! If you want to use different colored construction paper instead of cardstock- go for it...there are no rules. No eyeballs- make them out of paper.  Just have fun!!!













No comments:

Post a Comment